Hints and Tips
MAY TO DO 2020
Goodness gracious, what glorious weather we have had!! Thank goodness for our gardens with the Covid-19 lock down.
Here are some things to do in your garden this month......
1) From the middle of the month onwards plant out bedding plants, tender exotics, pot-grown dahlias, frost-tender vegetables and sweet pea plant s started off under glass.
2) Feed established lawns if not done in April.
3) Prune forsythia and flowering currant after flowering.
4) Clip beech, hornbeam, box, thuja and Leyland cypress hedges late this month orearly next.
5) Cut privet and Lonicera nitida every 6 weeks or so throughout the summer.
6) Divide clumps of polyanthus and primroses after flowering.
7) Sow swede, beetroot, maincrop carrots, autumn cabbage, autumn/winter cauliflowers, calabrese, peas, Swiss chard, radish, lettuce and spring onions.
8) Plant out leeks.
9) Plant tomatoes in early May and sweet peppers, chillies, aubergines, melons and cucumbers in late May.