October is here and the leaves are starting to fall. There's usually a lot to clear up in the garden now, but you can also start thinking of winter bedding and spring bulbs.
1) Gather fallen leaves and compost
2) Turf And repair lawns
3) Scarify and spike lawns and apply autumn lawn feed
4) Outdoor grown begonias, dahlias cannas and salvia patens must be removed to a frost-proof store just as soon as their foliage is blackened by frost
5) Plant spring bedding such as wallflowers, forget-me-nots,double daisies, polyanthus, primroses, together with various bulbs, particularly tulips and hyacinths
6) Insert hardwood cuttings including gooseberries, currants and rambler roses
7) Plant container-grown trees, shrubs, climbers and roses
8) Plant bare-root plants towards the end of the month
9) Cut back tall shrubs eg lavatera and buddleja davidii
10) Prune late flowering climbing roses and repeat flowering old-fashioned roses
11) Plant spring cabbages and overwintering onion sets
Happy Gardening !!!