Hints and Tips
Now we have reached September it is time to make the most of the late flowering plants in your garden. They may give you another month or two of colour and interest. Here is a checklist -
1) Get composting with all your autumn garden waste.
2) Once dry weather comes to an end, scarify and spike the lawn and apply autumn lawn feed.
3) Make new lawns from seed around the middle of the month, but delay laying turf until october or november.
4) Plant and move conifers and evergreens.
5) Clip hornbeam, beech, leyland cypress and thuja hedges before the middle of the month.
6) Give fast growing privet and lonicera nitida hedges their final cut of the season.
7) Plant spring bulbs (not tulips or hyacinths yet).
8) Plant winter bedding.
9) Sow overwintering onions.
10) Plant spring cabbage plants.
11) Prune cane fruits
12) Leave tomatoes on the plants until the weather turns, then bring them indoors to ripen.
Happy Gardening !!!
Some products you may find useful this month below.......